Friday, March 3, 2017

Thursday

Since we plan to move around a lot in Hungary we rented a car. We asked for a Volkswagen but instead we got a Citroën Diesel. I wasn't too happy with the Diesel but hey, que sera sera.

At this time we headed to Szeged because we planned to be there for about three days. The trip down there was very peasant because the roads went through some beautiful countryside. The highlight of the this trip was that we stopped at a Halászcsárda (Fish Restaurant) where we had a fantastic meal spiked with good drinks.

To call a Halászcsárda a Fish Restaurant is just not right. It takes away from what the establishment really is. The fish soup is actually called halászlé which is a lot more than just plain fish soup. It is made from a variety of different Hungarian fish and it just tastes fantastic.

This is what we ate and were fortunate enough to have this type of meal another time.

We stayed in Szeged because my wife had business to take care of but had time to look around the city.

Szeged and neighboring Mako are both lovely cities. They are clean and full of nice buildings. One can feel the history of the country at these places.

We also had the opportunity to visit Mohács where history abounds.

During our stay in Hungary we had the additional opportunity to visit Köszeg and Szombathely. These two cities are in the Northwest corner of the country and the trip was very enlightening.

I was born in Budapest and didn't see much of the country before. On this trip I had the opportunity to drive it from one end to the other and honestly I really enjoyed it.

I saw fertile farmlands, I saw mountains. I saw cities and I saw villages and in short it is a beautiful country.

No comments:

Post a Comment