Monday, September 11, 2023

Summer past

Labor Day is gone, Summer is over. The Fashion Police will arrest anybody who wears white, sockless shoes are a no-no, and bright summery colors are also out.

This was a very tumultuous summer. At least for me. Yes, it went fast but till there was enough time within to make sure it kept (at least) me busy. And, busy is not one of my favorite words.

My wife has a sister who lives in Hungary. They only see each other whenever my wife visits there. Even though they communicate frequently on the phone, face to face meets is rare. She has never been here before, and this Summer was the one she and her son decided to come.

As it can be imagined we prepared with excitement and anxiety. How will they like this environment, how will they like the food, how will the weather behave, how will we get along in closed quarters? And many more questions that gave reasons for anxiety.

There is family in Florida including my wife's granddaughter. This family visit included a lightning fast trip down south to visit them.

While in New York my sister-in-law was taken to see a Broadway musical, they also visited Times Square, on a beautiful and hot summer day we took the Staten Island Ferry back and forth, one day we also went to the beach. So, I think we were good hosts. 

At the end, time flew by fast and the time for departure arrived. Took them to the airport, kissed them goodby, and that was it.

A couple of weeks later, Abigail took off with her significant other for a one week trip to St. Maarten. This was her first such trip without the family and understandably she was a little apprehensive. So were we. Fortunately, the trip turned out good, they had a great time and are looking forward to the next one. Maybe Hawaii or Las Vegas?

While she was away, my wife and I, and Robin enjoyed the peace and quiet at home. For Abigail college will soon start. This will be her last semester and understandably she is pretty nervous. It looks like she will continue with her studies for an advanced degree. Good for her. I guess and hope eventually she plans to work and earn some money!

One of my highlights for the summer was to visit my friend/brother/friend and his wife on their 60th wedding (diamond) anniversary. We had a great time. Actually I was his best man at his weeding all those many years ago. The nice thing about this get-together was that I met his son and one of his three grandsons. Both guys are very lovely people, and I was very happy for the chance to spend quality time with them.

It is a shame that they all live so far away. It is not the distance, it is the terrible traffic getting out of and back to New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment