Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Yom Kippur

We, Jews just got over Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. This day goes along with an all day total fast. No liquids, no solids. A very serious fast. By doing this and praying we are atoning for our misdeeds, sins we committed throughout the year. This is similar to the Catholics'. They go to confession, tell the priest what bad things they did, and the priest will tell them to say ten Hail Mary, and all is forgiven.

Difference is that good Catholics go weekly or monthly or whenever they think they should. Us Jews bear our burden all year because we only have one day set aside for our admissions. Also, a 24 hour fast is a lot more serious than ten hail Mary.

Anyway, we are done now for a year. All bad things are forgiven, and starting now we can be bad again. At least that is how I interpret this. Even though I was told that at my age I don't have to fast, I did it. From Sunday evening dinner until Monday 4:30 in the afternoon. It was easy, no headaches. could have continued but I thought it was enough.

Interestingly and historically on these High Holy Days the weather was always good. Nice and sunny was the norm. But what is lately normal? On Yom Kippur it was totally miserable. 61 degrees and rain all day long. I guess Mother Nature doesn't like Jews. For me it didn't matter, I stayed in and only went out when we walked Robin.

By the way, Robin did not fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment