Friday, February 23, 2024

Inflation

Many, many years ago, probably in the 1960s I was young and pretty much clueless to the intricacies of life. One thing I had problems with is handling money. Or routine was that once a week we went to the supermarket and shopped for the coming week. It kind of occurred to me that slowly we either were spending more money or stuff just got more expensive.  

So, me the smart guy bought a hand counter that by pushing some buttons showed the money we spent. It showed dollars and cents. It had an upper limit of $25. That was all it went to. But in those days we rarely spent that much. At the end of shopping, it showed how much money we spent an shoild pay at the checkout counter. 

This system worked for a while but slowly, very slowly we reached the limit of this counter and eventually I had to keep remembering how many times we went over the $25 limit. At first it was once, then twice and finally about three times. That was when this counter became obsolete. 

Why am I writing this? Because now when we go to the supermarket and do our weekly shopping the final bill is always encroaching $200. And we are still not buying caviar and rime cut meat. Still looking for what is on sale, which brand is less expensive. Ok, there is the three of us and Robin's food is not cheap either, but still. Prices just keep going up.

Sometimes it is more beneficial not remembering back to the "good old days" because it is just upsetting. I don't want to be that old man who keeps saying "in my days"... But as long as I have memories, I can't help but remember. Just like my first new car was only $3,000. Now the tax on a new car is more than that.

But this is life. Things keep going up, never down. And there is nothing to do just accept it. Right?




No comments:

Post a Comment