Saturday, April 20, 2024

Sleep

In my younger days and also while I was duly employed and a useful member of society, whenever I had the chance, I was able to sleep really long hours. On weekends if there was nothing pressing to do, sleeping 'till noon was not unusual. The rule used to be, to listen to the 11 o'clock news (half an hour) then go to sleep. When I worked, I used to be up around 6:30am. And I did love to sleep.

Now things are changing. At first we used to stay up until after the 11 o'clock news, then we took Robin for his night walk around the block. By the time we got to bed was usually past midnight. Then up around 7-8 in the morning, depending on Abigail's school schedule. This gave us 6-7-8 hours sleep.

But this is not the current situation. Now, we watch the 10 o'clock news for about 15 minutes, take Robin on his walk and in bed just around 11 o'clock. Still up around 7-8 in the morning. This is not bad but it has its drawbacks. 

For one I am not a long distance sleeper I used to be. Going to sleep early makes me wake up really early. Last night I went to sleep a little after 11 but by 5 in the morning I was wide awake. My wife was still asleep so I just laid there looking at the ceiling and thinking of all kinds of things. While I was already dying for my morning coffee I did not want to disturb her so I just suffered. 

I came to the conclusion that for my advanced years I do not need that much time to sleep as I used to. I don't know if this is a trend, but it certainly is with me. Which is a shame because now I do have the time every single day. Maybe nature tells me or us that our time is limited, don't waste it on sleep!

This is the end of my sleep story. I hope you are still awake.

No comments:

Post a Comment