Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Bread

I hate white bread. I would much rather eat a wet sponge than white bread. I just can not see the beauty of it. Yet, that seems to be the American staple. Whenever they show on TV people eating a sandwich that is always white bread. 

It is very soft, it has no body and also has no taste. Whenever I tried to spread something on a slice of white bread I always spread that thing on my palm. When I came to this country I was introduced to white bread and I did try it, but within a short time I realized that there were other choices in life. So, I became a rye bread enthusiast. Rye comes in different varieties, seeded or non seeded. I prefer the non seeded variety. 

Rye bread has more body and since I always spread butter on, it is more pleasant to eat. When we go to food shopping, bread buying is always a major undertaking because there are so many different kind on the shelves. I like a certain type my wife naturally, likes a different type. So, who is the loser in this competition?

When I was living in Hungary we used to by a loaf of bread that was fresh and crispy and never sliced. I don't even thin they knew what a slicer was. We sliced the bread by hand and those slices were nice and thick and pleasure to eat. Some stores sell loaf breads to be sliced or leaving them whole and once in a while we buy those. Eating them bring back the tastes of yore.

No comments:

Post a Comment