Saturday, October 16, 2021

Why hiatus

Why the hiatus?

I have - according to my wife - weird sleeping habits. I snore and toss around in bed. Plus I do get up frequently to go to the bathroom. Well, this is me, and I can not help it. But my wife did.

She decided that we will sleep in separate beds. So, we went out and bought a new bedroom set, two twin beds and dresser that were delivered on September 23. This meant the existing set had to be disassembled and cleared out to make room for the new things.

For a while our apartment looked like a warehouse. On October 1 we rented a U-Haul truck packed in these things and drove them to a nearby place where they were packed into a U-Pack container for delivery to Ohio. Thanks to our building super's help because he did most of the work with my wife. But I had to be there, watching the truck and help with the small stuff. At the end of the day I was still tired.

A week later the container was delivered on site and that meant we had to be there to unload it. At the crack of dawn or earlier we started off and got to Ohio by 9am. My wife, Abigail, Robin and me. This was followed by an all day of unpacking the furniture. The two girls performed heroically, while I stood guard. By the end of the day the container was empty and even as exhausted as everybody was we started off to our return to New York.

It seems that a seven hour trip is getting to be nothing for us. During this entire process I realized that my strength is not what it used to be, and standing for a long time is ok, but after I usually can barely walk because my feet hurt so much. I guess this is where the mind and the body are not in sync.

On these long trips my wife drives alone. I am not allowed to drive any longer. But I have to give moral support to her. That means I sit in the passanger seat and keeping her awake. I am not allowed to sleep or even do doze off while Abigail sleeps through an entire trip on the back seat. Not driving and just sitting there and staring out the window while making "stay awake" conversations is not easy. 

But, that is what husbands are for. To provide support. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Pisti!
    I'm so happy to be reading this...
    Not only is it good, you're a good writer.
    Most of all, it's good hear you're doing well.
    I have become a little obsessed with health and diet lately with very good results if you're interested in corresponding about it but you were always disciplined anyway (unlike me) and its good to hear your health is good.
    I'm glad you keep in touch, I hope you visit Ft Lauderdale sometime

    Lots of Love,

    Kis Tamas

    ReplyDelete