Tuesday, October 26, 2021

October 23

This past Saturday was October 23, the 65th anniversary of the Hungarian revolution. 65 years ago when my and most of my friends' life changed. None of us knew what was waiting for us in the future because back then we looked at life one day at a time. No long range planning.

65 years went by, looking back, pretty quickly, but not totally uneventful. Lots of things happened, good mixed with the bad. Happy mixed with the sad. Many of our loved ones left this life ant to many of us new lives came to existence.

Most of my friends and I were not even 20 years old step. I am not sorryback then and I don't think we were seriously able to comprehend the seriousness of the situation. Every one of us lived through WWII and the bombing and shootings in Budapest. This just seemed another one of those.

Many took advantage of the early chaos and left the country in the first few days. Some, like me and my best friend agonized over leaving and waited a few months before taking the giant step. In hindsight, I am glad we took this step. I am not sorry about leaving the country, I am just sorry about leaving my family.

Honestly speaking, when we left Hungary I just turned 20 years old. I did not have a serious bone in my body. I did not have any plan in my mind what to do and how to do it. Didn't even know what country I or us wanted to go to. It was like whoever would take us. Very serious thinking, right?

But, as it turned out it ended well. I am not sorry for the big leap.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment