Monday, October 25, 2021

Color blind 2

This now is not a political writing. This is about the disadvantages a person has when that person is color blind. As I mentioned it earlier, I am pretty much color blind. Can not tell the difference between red and green, brown and green and a few other colors. On that mosaic like eye test I can not see a damn thing except a bunch of different colors.

This is the way I am since childhood. I was never able to learn colors. Being color blind is not a big thing but it could be a serious career breaker.

Here is a list of careers I was not able to pursue: airline pilot - I would have landed the plane in the parking lot because couldn't understand the colors of the runway markers;  butcher - I wouldn't been able to tell the good meat from the spoiled meat; house painter - couldn't advise the client about good colors; fashion designer - couldn't put good dress colors together; couldn't work in a supermarket fruit and vegetable department because wouldn't been able to tell good stuff from the spoilt stuff. And, the list would just go on.

I can drive because I know the red is always on the top and the green is on the bottom. If that changes I am careful but in all these years I never had any problem with this scenario. Anyway, in everyday life this not much of a hindrance except when somebody directs me to take the green or the orange colored something. Then I am in trouble and I have to tell them to be more specific, and sheepishly I admit that I am colorblind.

Like many other disadvantages in life this can also be overcome, and I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment