Saturday, November 12, 2022

Antisemitism

Hungarians are basically a very dirty bunch. They don't go to the neighborhood for a little hate. They hate everybody and that hate starts within the family. When antisemitism came into existence Hungarians did not have to go to school to learn it. They had it in their blood. During the communist regime, between 1945 and 1956 most antisemitism was suppressed. But it was always there.

During the 1956 revolution it was just a question of time when it will burst out. I personally did not hear any such negative comment, but my dearest friend witnessed such. When that revolution started people started to leave the country in droves. My bro and I thought about it, but I think we were just too lazy to do it.  Then one day in January 1957 my friend came to me very upset and said we must leave. Somewhere he overheard very strong antisemitic outbursts and that was enough for him to make up his mind.

My friend and I are the same age, we both lived through the Holocaust. Unfortunately, he lost both his parents, so I never blamed him for feeling like that. Who in this world want to relive something like that? So that was the primary reason for our departure. 

Now antisemitism is raising its ugly head here. Many synagogues received various messages that made police protection necessary both in New York and in New Jersey. Something like this is very disheartening even though there is nothing to be afraid of. But still, it seems there is always danger lurking out there. I am 100% convinced that a holocaust will never happen, at least not in our lifetime but still...

What causes this feeling of hate? It has been around for eternity but still there is no logical explanation for it. The only explanation I can find is envy. People are envious of the Jews because they survive, they succeed regardless of the hardship life throws front of them.

Maybe really, they (we) are the chosen people.

No comments:

Post a Comment