Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Travel

My bro is in Hungary. I think by the time this is published he is on his way home. A week goes very fast when one has a good time. To say that I envy him is the least. I wish I could have gone also. He went with family members who have not been there a long time. My friend was there with me in 2014 the last time.

He sent me a few photographs about what he ate, and my response was that he knows how to hurt a guy. The pastries and the food looked just scrumptious. Budapest is not for the diet conscious, that is for sure. And neither is for the low sugar watchers. When he and I went, every day we had two good meals. Lunch and dinner. Plus, some breakfast and the obligatory stops at pastry shops. Naver gained a pound because we just walked and walked.

Pastry shops are another story. Budapest has more pastry shops that Starbucks in New York. And Starbuck can be found here on every corner. There are famous pastry shops and there are the small neighborhood ones. The difference is mainly in the prices. As far as I am concerned the small shops are just as good as the named ones. These are one by individual pastry makers who take pride in their work. Their shops survive in the neighborhoods because of the good products, the ambiance and prices. They might have fewer selections but what they have is worth trying it. 

Unfortunately, New York has no such establishments. There are some places where they sell French pastry but in my opinion that does not come near the good Hungarian product. As far as I know, there is only one Hungarian pastry shop in New York, but their products are less than mediocre. Beggars can not be choosers, so we just have to accept it, but it is a shame.

Anyway, I hope he had a great time, and can't wait to hear his stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment