Sunday, April 30, 2023

Drinks

I recently criticized Abigail and her "cohorts" that how they are preoccupied with drinking. Don't misunderstand me, these kids are not trying to be alcoholics, they are just on the doorstep of adulthood, or legal age and what is the best way to celebrate it than drink alcohol. To drink once a week or twice a week at a party will not make alcoholics.

These kids will drink until they get sick and eventually, they will stop doing it. Most of their drinking is just bravado. To show their friends who can drink more without getting sick. Fortunately, Abigail has a very low tolerance to this, so we are not worried.

There is a Hungarian saying that "the priest preaches water while he drinks wine". As a father I am upset about this and her mom and I try to show how bad this thing is but naturally, to no avail. Peer pressure is stronger than anything.

I remember when I was her age or even younger by few years, when my parents were not home my friends and I invited our then current girlfriends to our apartment on Saturday evenings and we always had some alcohol purchased by us available. Or if we went to other parties, some drinking was always part of the program. Nothing serious, just enough to make us feel grownups.

So, how do I have the right to criticize when I also did this? I have every right! Now, I see the errors of my ways and that gives me right. Also, since I am the father, I can criticize anything. Not that it means anything but still.

By the way, the legal age in Hungary at my time was 18. So, I could go to any liquor store and purchase. And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment