Sunday, September 12, 2021

9/11

Today is the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy. and understandably the media is full of these events. Since I was there, and survived it I believe I have every right to my comments and observations.

I am sick and tired of these annual memorials! I think they are in bad taste and the organization that supposed to represent the victims is using their position to embarrass the authorities to keep this annual event happening and the politicians for appearing there.

I resent the reading of the names. There were a multitude of people working there from various nationalities. Some of the readers can not even pronounce these names correctly, and I can not think of a bigger insult than to mispronounce the name of a deceased person. It is totally disrespectful.

My boss died in our office as a result of this attack. For years my company sent small gifts to his widow. After about three years she told me it was time to stop this act. Stop this annual remembrance. By now this should be a private thing between families and their loved ones. I agreed with her. Why make people to sit through the reading (or misreading) of thousands of names. 

I lost many friends and colleagues during this attack and I remember all of them. Hearing their names read out loud does not make me feel any better. Some of the people were not even alive when this attack occurred. Whom they lost were uncles, aunts, grand parents. Meaning they never knew them. Yet, they come with their sob stories of how they are being missed.

How can somebody be missed when that person never existed in one's life? 

Anyway, I am a cynic and this is how I feel.

Ps: Our glorious Alzheimered chief executive and his wife made show appearance at the World Trade Center site. They stayed exactly 45 minutes and during the reading of the D lettered names they left. This to show that everything he does is for show and has absolutely no meaning.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment