Sunday, September 19, 2021

Rabbi

I am not a sexist person. I believe in equal opportunity for all, yet there are certain things that go against my grain. But regardless of the prevailing situations and the passing of time, I am entitled to my opinion, right?

Like, I am not very comfortable with a female urologist. Late last year I had a young lady doctor enter into me to check my prostates. I am sure I was one of her many patients, but for me she was the only female doctor who ever did this to me.

But this is a side issue. This was not what prompted to write the following. 

We are living in the 21st century. Things, morals, attitudes are changing with an alarming speed. If one does not agree with that person better get off the merry-go-round of life. I don't have to like what I see, but I will accept it.

To me a rabbi is a scholarly, elder gentlemen of the Jewish faith who possesses a great deal of knowledge and life experience. And I am sure years ago that the way it was everywhere in the world. But things began to change and now more and more women become rabbis. Well, this is so so. But what is not so so is that some of them are still very young but became ordained and now they are full fletched rabbis.

One of the reformed synagogues in New York live broadcasts their Holy Day and Sabbath sermons. Their chief rabbi is a Korean lady of mixed parentage. Their staff includes several female rabbis and a few female cantors. Yesterday at the closing service of Yom Kippur their youngest rabbi was making a long speech. I swear she was still in her twenties. 

Now, how can such a young person disperse wisdom and life experience to the faithful when she, herself has none? She could be a very nice person. Religious and an honest believer. But a rabbi? No way Jose!







No comments:

Post a Comment