Thursday, February 10, 2022

Skin

I am back, for now. I will tell you why there was no communication lag.                                                  Monday morning, I was scheduled for a dermatological procedure called the Mohs procedure. When there is a cancerous surface growth on the skin this procedure is used to remove it.

It works this way, the doctor removes a thin layer of skin from the area, then it is examined under microscope. If it is determined that this specimen is positive, another layer is removed and on and on until the result shows that there is no more cancer detected. If one is lucky enough one or two such moves are necessary, then the location is cancer free.

That is what happened to me. I had a cancerous growth on the surface of my right hand and that needed to be removed. Fortunately, my surgeon was so good that one cut did the trick. After the first sample was taken and examined, I was told that there would be no need for any further moves. I was very happy about it because even though they gave me several shots for not feeling the pain I was far from enjoying myself.

Even though the cut was about 1 centimeter diameter it resulted in a 2-inch cut in my skin that needed to be stitched. Right now, my hand is bandaged and next Monday the stitches are scheduled to be removed.

Now, since I have another similar growth on my left cheek, just under my eye that will be removed also on next Monday. You can imagine how I am not looking forward to this.

Ever since I was a young boy, I had some form of issues with my skin. And loving the sun in the past 50+ years did not help my situation. But until now the problems stayed in the background. Now, at my age I have no choice but to take my lumps. I had a great time in the previous 50+ years now I am paying the piper. 














No comments:

Post a Comment