Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Eggs

The other day we went to the supermarket, and I saw a sign that kind of upset me. The sign said that there is an egg shortage and because of that the price of egg is going up. 

There is no chicken shortage so why is there an egg shortage? Are the hens striking and not laying eggs? That would be self defeating since laying eggs is their life insurance policy. The minute they stop that activity they become fryers.

This also reminds me that after the war there was a general food shortage in my country and that necessitated rationings. That was achieved by families getting ration coupons and were able to buy only what was on those coupons. I think a family of three (ours) got maybe three eggs a week, subject to availability. 

That was when connections came to the picture. If one had a friend who had a friend than he was able to get extra stuff. Otherwise, we just had to live on what was on the ration coupons. Are we heading in that direction? This might sound an extreme solution but finding critical shortages it is not inconceivable. 

I have to check my map if this is still the land of milk and honey? I think the milk went sour and the honey is rancid.

No comments:

Post a Comment