Thursday, October 20, 2022

Ode to my teeth

There are things we got accustomed to, they are with us like forever and suddenly they are not. Once they are not with us, occasionally we miss them other times we don't even know we had them.

Case in point, for at least 80 years I had my teeth in my mouth. Most of these teeth are my own with a few exceptions. Recently one of them started to hurt. I didn't pay much attention, figuring I can live with a little pain. Unfortunately, my tooth had different ideas. It started to hurt more and more so that I was living on painkillers.

At that point I decided to go and see my dentist. My dentist is a very lovely Russian lady who has offices her nearby and at another location outside of the City. Unfortunately, on the day I needed the assistance her local office was closed but she said I should go to her other office.

It is not professional for a dentist to refuse a patient with a killing toothache. So, we drove out to wherever she was at. I had to wait about two hours for her to see me because of other patients but eventually she did see me. After taking a few x-rays she determined that not one, but two teeth need to be pulled. I said go ahead.

After 25 minutes of sitting in the dentist chair my two teeth were unceremoniously pulled. After 80 years of excellent service, living in a nice, warm and comfortable environment they were suddenly homeless. Looking at them on the dentist's table I was a little sad. But actually, they got what they deserved, they hurt me. Me, their one and only landlord who provided them with a nice home in all these years. With all the injections I was totally numb and felt nothing which made the entire process almost painless.

Since they are the last two teeth in the row, at my age replacing them is not an issue anymore. The lack of them will have no effect on my exterior aesthetics.

No comments:

Post a Comment