Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Classes

Technology is great. When I think back to my time in school, I don't believe the difference between then and now. Abigail is sick. She has a very bad cold. I had it two weeks ago and now she has it. It was expected since we all live in the same household. My wife had short run of it but now, she is ok. I just hope Robin won't catch it.

Anyhow, Abigail is sick (and also the boyfriend). Today she went to school but instead of 4pm she came home at noon. Just now she had been walking around the apartment with her tablet in her hands and I can hear a man's voice saying some pretty boring stuff. I asked her if this was school, and she said yes. Apparently, this particular class is given online and not life. Meaning that the instructor is visible, but the students are not. So, they can be doing anything and be anywhere while connected online.

Every Friday morning, she is having an online class that she attends or listens to from bed. What a way to learn. In my time we had classes every day and many time Saturdays, too. Here, she has classes for four days where she must be in and one day online. At least laboratory classes are not online.

I just wonder how knowledgeable these kids will be after they graduate and get jobs. Employers will expect smart people when they hire them. They didn't teach that in school is not an acceptable excuse for not knowing things.

Something else just came to my mind.

When I was going to school, a million years ago, at start of every semester we bought our textbooks. They were always scary and thick textbooks on the subject of that particular class. On the first day of each class the instructors told us what chapters we would study from and what chapters we would skip.

I always wandered that if those particular chapters were in the textbooks, they must have been important. Not studying them wouldn't leave a gap in our knowledge? What would happen if somebody asked me for instance of those things. I couldn't say "they didn't teach me that". Would be pretty embarrassing

Anyway, I survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment