Friday, May 5, 2023

PRISM

 The PRISM Undergraduate Research Program (URP) offers selected students in science and math majors the opportunity to engage in the process of research while completing their degree as part of  the Undergradu­ate Research Program.

PRISM is the abbreviation of Program for Research Initiatives in Science & Math. As the above explanation says it is for students in science program at Abigail's college. She qualified and is an active participant in this program and she really loves what she is doing. Yesterday there was an annual PRISM Symposium where students exhibited what they are currently working on.

Frienda and family were invited to this event and naturally we went to see it. I tell you honestly, I had no clue what these kids were doing. The titles of their research programs were so convoluted that I only understood the words "with", "and" and "the".

Abigail's project is titled The Design of Novel Metal-Based Anticancer Drugs with Terpyridine Ligands. My friend's son is a doctor and he might appreciate this but for us simple folks this is like Sanskrit. But when she explained it I kind of understood it. Still this very abstract for me.

After all the speeches and presentations there was dinner which was pretty good. The best part of dinner was that we had to stand in line to get served and while I stood there with my cane a nice lady came up and told me she would bring me my food. Sometimes it is advantageous to be a cripple.

After dinner we drove home. The three of us plus the boyfriend. My wife invited us all to a nearby teahouse which we know and like. They have good desserts and teas. So, by the time we got home was close to 10pm. Poor Robin was left home alone since 2pm but he behaved like a champ.

So, this is the story of Wednesday. It was a long but good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment