Friday, May 19, 2023

USPS

It is scary how inefficient today the United States Postal Service is. When I came to this country I was stunned by the things the Post Office was able to do and reliable their service was. From the outset everything was very casual, yet they were extremely reliable. This reliability was inside this country as well as for international service. My letters to my parents and their letters to me made the overseas trip in seven days. 

I could send Christmas cards overseas a week before the holiday and they got to their destinations. Might that be in Europe or in Australia. Canada needed no special postage. It was sufficient to put the same stamp as let's say to Philadelphia. Now, it is a foreign country and needs special stamps.

Oh, where those good days went?

Now, the Postal Service is as bad as any third world country. First of all it is totally unreliable. Just an example: we mailed a letter to Cleveland, Ohio to a legitimate business address. Slowly, but it got there. At first attempt they were no able to deliver it because the business was already closed. They never attempted a second delivery, instead kept the mail at their post office for ten days and then returned it with a note that said incorrect address.

I wander if the postal service is so bad in other countries?

Christmas cards they just do not deliver. For some reason mass mailings containing all kinds of scams and begging for monies seem to be more important than good wishes for friends and families. This is very sad. And at the same time their rates are increasing. For what? There is no one to complain to, nobody can and will do anything about it. Believe me, I know because I tried. They are having these congressional hearings about the rate increases but not about the quality of service.

It appears to me that nobody is overseeing the postal service and that is why their performance is so piss poor. No wonder that FedEx and UPS are doing such good business. They are reliable.

Good country America?

No comments:

Post a Comment