Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Coronation

Saturday I had the "fortune" to watch Charles III's coronation. I could not watch the one 70 years ago for a few reasons. One, I did not know it happened. The other I did not know who the royalty in England was since I lived in a total communist state, and finally we had no TV. Actually I don't think anybody had TV in Hungary back then.

Ok, speaking of democracy. I just love all the princes, princesses, lords, sirs, peers and earls and God knows what other titles sitting in the cathedral while the common folk were standing outside in the rain. The entire thing reminded me of a Disney parade. The golden carriage they were leaving in was gaudy and tasteless. The entire ceremony might have been steeped in tradition but still it was long and boring.

The money spent on this charade could have been better spent elsewhere. Ok, so his mum died and he automatically became king. Why not just leave it that way? Why all this fuss about being crowned? This will not make him any more of a king than he already was. Also, besides ruling over his family what other authority does he have? Nothing!

The constitutional monarch stays out of politics, can not take sides just help charities. Shake hands and kiss babies. And rake in the money the family holdings produce. Not a bad life. Not for the monarch nor the heir. Anyway, with prince Idiot (Harry) there it gave room for some more gossip. One more comment: the concubine Queen is so ugly that it is hard to look at her. But then why look at her?

No comments:

Post a Comment