Wednesday, May 24, 2023

EV

EV is short for Electric Vehicle. Right now the automotive industry is going crazy promoting their electric cars. If I were younger and looking forward to many years of driving, I would be scared of the future of driving. The way I see it there is still a lot of controversy and confusion about these battery operated cars.

My biggest hang up is the distance such a car can go to before the battery runs out. Or it is not the distance but the time that is essential. I have been to traffic jams that lasted hours and we either did not move or just moved inch by inch. How long a battery will last in those situations? What can one do when the car stops dead on the road because it ran out of juice? 

I looked at various comparisons and the show distances between 200 miles and about 450 miles. Why in the world would I buy an electric car that has the capacity only about 200 miles? As far as I see it these are totally unreliable.

They came up with some rule that by 203something gasoline driven cars will be no longer made. What about trucks? What about the 18 wheelers? They don't have batteries strong enough for these trucks. The other thing is that it is not frequent that one can see tractor trailers at gas stations. The reason is that they have 100-150 gallon tanks and these tanks hold enough fuel for quite a long triup. Batteries will never be able to match it. At least not by 203something.

Still, there are more and more electric cars visible in the city. I don't know where they charge them. These traditional neighborhood gas stations that we use do not offer charging opportunities, so what do people do?

Car makers are also desperately trying to present their brands as the real and best choice. Mercedes is advertising two years of free (prepaid) charging and two years of free service.

For the time being give me the good old fashioned and reliable gasoline engines. That is just like us, old people: reliable.

No comments:

Post a Comment