Wednesday, May 31, 2023

The Ugly American

I have to write about this, what my wife was telling me. Thanks to our senile president, Americans are universally disliked and saying that one is an American is not very advantageous. Everybody is looking at the US as a joke. Nobody takes it seriously anymore. They are all convinced that America is responsible for the current war and will be responsible for any future war. In Europe they are blaming America for the economic problems, also. 

The dollar is now not accepted anywhere in Europe. Either the Euro or the local currency are to be used. Even money changing places make exchanging dollars difficult. Over $1,000 they require passport and other identifications. Thankfully, ATMs still work. They are non-political.

My wife was telling me that when she went through the entry passport control at the Vienna Airport she showed her American passport the officer asked if she had another passport and when she showed her Hungarian passport the American one was practically thrown back at her. She was also advised not to show her US passport in the future.

At her hotel it was the same scene. They did not want to touch it, they treated it like if it were contagious. I was always so proud wit my American passport. Now we are in a time when we have to hide it if possible. This is the time of the Ugly American, again. At least this was the way in Austria. I am not saying that there is a general dislike of Americans but if there is it would not surprise me at all.

The general belief is that America and Biden are responsible for the Ukraine war. Not that they caused it but for the fact that they do everything to extend it instead of trying to end it.

Nice to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment