Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Abigail

Abigail finished her semester. All final exams were done, there are no more classes to attend. What is left now is the social life. Not that there was none before, but now she has to make up for all lost time. Saturday was the day for the last final. Sunday was spent with family, and Monday is blast off day. 

Monday she is going into Manhattan with her number one girlfriend for a day of wandering around, eating and shopping. It is cold today, but they are numb to the weather when they can be in the city. Tuesday it is another girlfriend who is on the schedule and Wednesday it is the boyfriend's day. I think he is down on the schedule because his school is not over yet. 

I am sure that Abigail will not be lacking things to do and people to see until school starts again, next year. In six months, she will be 20 years old. Helping her mom at home never ever occurred to her. This thing irks me a lot. Maybe I am old fashioned, but I do believe that girls should help out around the house to ease their mothers' workload. But when I say that she labels me as a sexist old man. 

Is this the way we were when we were at that age? Ok, most of my friends were boys, and it was not expected from us to help around the house. We spent our free time hanging out. chasing girls and not much else. But I think the girls I knew did help their mothers. The sad thing is that all Abigail's friends are like her. She is not unique. They all think they are princesses and look at housework as something demeaning.

My friend, who lived through this keeps telling me that this is a phase, and it will change. From where I sit time is not moving fast  enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment