Friday, January 21, 2022

65

Today is January 20, 2022, 65 years from January 20, 1957. Why is that important, at least for me and my closest friend? Because on that day our lives dramatically changed. That was the day when in the early morning hours, we got on a train heading to the south of Hungary, towards the southern border of the country. 

That was the day when we took our first step toward a new life that fortunately turned out to be not so bad. There were the five of us. My friend, my girlfriend and another couple. It was winter, and there was snow everywhere. The train took us as close to the border as it was possible, leaving us to find our own way. We did! We walked through deep snow, not knowing which direction to walk to but eventually we were lucky and found our way on the other side of the border.

That morning I was kissing my parents goodbye in Hungary, late night I was in a different country not knowing what the future was holding for me. We were 20 years old, had no clue about the outside world, we just knew that for us young people it was ok to leave. My parents were heartbroken about my leaving, but they agreed that there must be a better life waiting for me away from home.  

Interestingly, we had no idea where we wanted to go. We had no real knowledge of any western country except false propaganda and that made choosing a normal country pretty difficult. One thing we all agreed on, staying in Europe was not an option. So, we chose Canada. We all found relatives (maybe distant ones) who were willing to sponsor us for getting into Canada, but for some reason this did not work out. Leaving only the US as the remaining choice.

And lo and behold, this country excepted us with open arms. It took nine months living in refugee camps but eventually we found our way into this land of milk and honey. I am not saying it was easy, but I do say that ever since I got here not once did I think about throwing in the towel and return to Hungary. I am glad I am here and as interesting and turbulent as these 65 years were, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Maybe the next 65 will be less interesting and turbulent. We'll see!    

No comments:

Post a Comment