Sunday, January 16, 2022

Technology

Technology is something that really baffles me. Even when I worked, I was not a techno person. I used the computer because I had to but whenever anything new came up, I had real problems. I was never happy to learn new things. I was glad when I was able to master some older methods and never understood why they needed to be changed or so called upgraded.

Now that I am at home I am totally without outside help, except Abigail who treats me like a total amateur. Even when my Windows is upgraded, In I am lost because it comes with certain changes that are strange to me.

In the late 1960s when I started to work at the engineering company where I stayed forever, I remember the young Chinese design engineers were using the abacus. We used the slide rule, but they claimed their abacus was better and faster (for them). Slowly we changed over to calculators and computers and even to mechanical drafting. Pencil drafting went out of style. All drafters had to learn how to do computerized drafting. Some could not handle it and they fell by the wayside.

Computerized calculations, spread sheets became the norm. And I had to go with the flow to survive. But at least at my workplace there were always some who knew more than the rest of us and they were willing to help out us, the slow ones. But at home I am alone. My wife knows a little more than I do, and Abigail probably knows more than the two of us together but what about when she is not here? I did not ask Robin but probably even he knows more than I do.

I used to know Lotus123. That was a good program for my purposes. I learned it and used it a lot. Then my office introduced Excel. To me that was a disaster. I had to learn things from scratch, and I wasx not happy about it. But I did it. Now at home I have Office. That is neither Lotus nor Excel. A mixture of the two and I have to figure out how the damn thing works. Slowly I prevailed but I was not happy in the duration.

There is an old saying that if it ain't broken don't fix it! It seems to me that they purposely break it so they can fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment