Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Trip 2

While we werde in the tropics, we had the opportunity to visit a very good, dear friend and his wife. It was very good to see them. They live in Florida, not exactly in the area we frequently visit. I know him from almost the day I left Hungary, and fortunately we never lost contact. He is a very good friend, and I am sorry we don't live closer to each other.

Interestingly, he lived most of his life here in the Northeast but moved to Florida some years ago. Growing up and living in this northern climate he had to get used to the no winter seasons. I guess man can get used to anything as long as they have to. But now, he is a real Floridian with the permanent tan. He has a nice sailboat, a beautiful house, loving wife. In short, he is living the life of Riley.

My only regret is that he is there and I'm in cold and dreary New York. But it was very good to see them!

After the visit, on the way back to our place of stay, we drove through some back roads and were able to see beautiful countrysides with cows in the fields. Miles and miles, acres after acres of country. The road was almost empty with no traffic at all. I never imagined such environment in Florida. But I guess they have to grow things somewhere.

Here is an observation. We drove about 3,300 miles and with the exception of an overturned 18-wheeler we saw no traffic accidents at all in spite of the general 75 miles per hour speed limits. Here in New York, as soon as we got on our nearby parkway there was a car that smashed against the sidewall while another car was stuck on the middle divider. I guess they were racing and lost control. Idiots! __________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of luck. Yesreday, Tuesday there was a very bad snowstorm south of New York City. Here they were in total panic about it, but nothing happened, just cold. But down in Virginia it was terrible. I saw on the news that I-95 road vas shut down for about 50 miles between Richmond and Washington with cars and truck stuck on the road. 

This is the same road we came up on. And I complained about slow moving traffic. How about not moving all night traffic? I do believe somebody was looking out for us by delaying this storm!


No comments:

Post a Comment