Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Award

Yesterday they were broadcasting the first in a series of show business award programs. This one was the awards by the Screen Actors Guild. I think the reason for this big presentation was that it was being held just like in normal times. The guests were sitting together at tables, no separation, no masks.

This entire show is about self-adulation, gratulating to themselves for the exceptional work they were doing. As I mentioned earlier, last year there was supposed to be a pandemic that stopped a lot of businesses, and supposedly also Hollywood. Yet, there were a long list of productions that were done during 2021.

The star performers and presenters show up in gowns that are given to them (free, mind you) by the particular designers while the jewelry on the women come with the necessary security guards making sure they are returned at the end of the show. With all the decolletage I saw more pancakes than at any IHOP. I can not understand why some female performers (like Lady Gaga) can't see that a low cut gown is not to their advantage.

Anyway, the show was long, drawn out and boring, and I only watched a short portion of it. Unfortunately, this particular presentation is the beginning of the award season. Good shows will be preempted because of the upcoming awards. Also, even though I do watch a lot of TV, none of the nominated shows meant anything to me. I never saw them, never heard of them.

Years ago, the three major networks ruled the awards. Then slowly the cable channels started to be recognized. Now the majority of the awards go to these cable networks for which we have to pay extra if we want to see them. I will not pay for the privilege.

Maybe just as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment