Sunday, March 6, 2022

Ukraine, again

It boggles one's mind how idiotic the American people are capable of being. I know that there are problems now in Ukraine. I also said that I have no real feeling towards them. I don't know what caused the problem nor am I interested knowing it.  The refugees I am sorry for. I know exactly when one's life is turned upside down and a comfortable existence suddenly becomes an uncertain future.

But the reaction against Russia is taking ridiculous measures. In New York, at least people are boycotting Russian stores, restaurants. Why? Those businesses are not owned by the Russian government, they are owned by immigrants like most of us. Those people came here hoping to make a life for themselves. I really question that boycotting the Russian Tea Room in Manhattan will really upset Putin. Maybe not buying Russian vodka might hurt some businesses, since they are exported from Russia. But not all of them either. I think they are also produced in other countries.

The flip side is that some of the more popular restaurants are now more readily available since they are not full. I live in a predominantly Russian neighborhood where most of the businesses are Russian, and Jewish owned. I certainly hope this wrong thinking will not reach this area because I really like their stuff. I am just curious to see if these businesses will be able to get inventory in the future.

Something else.

The United States used to be energy independent. Now gasoline prices are going sky high, and they blame Ukraine. As I hear on the news, we are getting a considerable amount of oil from Russia. Now the interesting thing is that even though there are sanctions in place we are still getting the Russian oil with no disruption. Well, if we do then why the price is going up and up?

This entire thing is politics. And not just any politics but dirty politics where people lose their lives. Maybe the powers to be decided that the Covid-19 didn't take enough lives and a war is needed!            Something to think about!


No comments:

Post a Comment