Friday, March 18, 2022

Celebration

Today is St. Patrick's Day which is the Irish excuse to get drunk. New York on this day as it their habit goes overboard in celebrating. I am convinced that they try to out Irish the Irish. I don't think in Belfast they make such a big event out of this day.

They shut down 5th Avenue for the marchers most of whom head to the neighboring bars after they finish marching. Years ago, Second Avenue was filled with off duty firemen and policemen crawling from bar to bar and drinking themselves to oblivion. It was a disgusting site. I think they changed the rules but this being the first parade after the pandemic they probably went back to their old habits.

I wander if they do the same in Ireland? Or they don't need an excuse to drink. Anyway, this year Saint Patrick's Day and Purim fell on the same day. I was not able to tell the celebrants apart. Both are happy events, and the question is who drink more. 

Today I went to get a haircut to my usual place and four young Hasidic men came in celebrating Purim. They sang and danced and then collected money. Well, we all gave, they in return gave little gift packages to the women and shots of whiskey or something like that to the men. 

Even though it was only about 12:30 pm I figured it was after 5 somewhere in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment