Thursday, March 17, 2022

Being spoiled

Spring is around the corner. Right now, the temperature is a balmy 60 degrees Fahrenheit. If I think back that about three weeks ago we had snow up to our knees I just don't want to believe it. It is a very crazy world we live in. One day we have heat, the next day we are yearning for the air conditioner.

Actually, we have three window air conditioners. One each for the main rooms. End of Summer, early Fall we have them taken out and we store them. Then when the weather starts to get warm have them installed. Our super is a good guy and he takes care of that job ($). 

No matter when we install them, we wind up with unseasonably hot days when the air conditioner are not yet available. So we suffer. And I think back that until I came to this country I had no clue what air conditioners were. 

We are spoiled beyond understanding. And the thing is that we easily got used to it, and if any of the luxuries are missing from our life we tend to get very upset.

For nine months I slept on straw bags and never complained. Now we have mattresses with code numbers and self raising mechanisms to assure our uninterrupted and comfortable sleep. For nine months I slept in a common room with about 50-100 people, men, women alike. Snoring was common and there was no room for complaining. Now, if I snore too much my wife bangs on me until I wake up and stop my snoring. I will not even attempt to describe our various toilet facilities we had for nine months because I don't want to be accused of being disgusting. But believe me they were curiously simple. Now, we complain if the toilet lid does not close automatically, and the toilet does not have electrically controlled warm water fountain.

Do we really know how good we have it?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment