Monday, May 17, 2021

Language

I wrote about 373 articles in this blog since it started in 2016. Being in advanced age and "reduced" mental capacity which is the result of age, I really do not remember every subject I wrote about. That may result in some kind of repetition. But be patient with me because even if the subject is the same the words will be different, and since time passed I have different outlook on things.

They say that people whose mother tongue is not engl tongue as they get older. I am trying to fight this, that is why I started to write thisish have the tendency to revert to their native blog.

When I worked, I spoke, wrote and thought in english. Now that I am retired and live in a Hungarian household keeping english alive is not easy. Abigail is 19 and she is the one I converse the most in English even though she is fluent in Hungarian. Actually, Robin is native born american he is bi-lingual. He understands quiet and shut up.

When I speak Hungarian I have the tendency to mix it with English only because some expressions come easier that way than struggle with a non-exact translation. My Mother always told me, on my visits, to mix hungarian with english. This was her way of showing off her son. I have a close friend who grew up in this country, and his father thought him not to mix the two languages. This resulted in him struggling to find satisfactory translation to everything he wants to say. Most of the time I already know what he is trying to say while he is still struggling to find words.

When I was young I could never imagine how a person could be bi-lingual. Now that I am, this is normal. What I can not understand now, is how a person who grew up with using only his native language for 1/3 of his life can forget that language.






No comments:

Post a Comment