Monday, November 1, 2021

Flying

Thinking back 67 years, it was an interesting experience flying. As I said before I don't think anybody ever flown a plane before. Traveling was not permitted in the old regime and even then since Hungary had limited air travel possibilities riding on an American airplane was a brand new experience.

For one, nobody spoke any English and thus we had no way understanding what the stewardesses (back then they were stewardesses) were saying. We were restricted to communicate with hand signals and loud Hungarian. People believe if they speak loud their language is more understandable.

When they gave us food we ate them, when they told us to go somewhere we did. Ailine food was something none of us experienced before. We sniffed and smelled the food when we couldn't figure out what they were. We all behaved like someone from a real third country.

At one point during the night, somebody looked out the window and thought he saw one engine on fire. In total panic, he called the stewardess over who in turn notified the pilot. Somebody came out of the cockpit, looked and said something to the stewardess, probably that these idiot Hungarians are getting on my nerve. Anyway, the fire turned out to be nothing, and we arrived safe and sound at our next stop.

At that time I decided that if I fly again and see anything outside my window I will keep it to myself. Let faith be at the controls.

No comments:

Post a Comment