Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Who do you trust?

This week I went to see a dermatologist. This was a new doctor, one I didn't see previously but I needed to see one because it was impossible to see my usual doctor within a certain time period. It looks like every doctor is booked way into January or even February. Business seems to be booming.

Anyway, this young lady was willing to see me in a short notice, because unfortunately, I did not have the luxury of waiting a month or longer for an appointment. She did see me, we discussed my problems and I placed my fate in her hands.

Now, dermatology in my opinion is a gamble. They might find the cure or they might not. Most of the diagnosis depend on visually looking at the problem and hoping to come up with the solution. I used to have an older doctor, who looked at these things and almost immediately came up with his verdict. Not always correct but never wrong. The prescribed medication either worked or not. Then he tried something else. I tried to see him, but he was booked far into the future.

I talked to another doctor about older versus younger doctor. In my opinion there is not much an older doctor did not yet see, meaning he can easily come up with the cure. My doctor's opinion was that the younger doctor might be more up on the latest techniques in medicine, therefore would easier identify the problem.

This brings up the question: who do you trust?

I don't know. I trust the one who can treat me and cure me the easiest way possible. Do older doctors keep up with the latest improvements medicine has to offer, or just keep relying on their experience? I am sure a young doctor is aware of the latest things since that is what they pick up in their early years.

Years ago, we had the need for a certain operation. The surgeon told us this was to be a robotic process. The doctor was a fairly young man. Another doctor commented that young surgeons are good at the robotic surgery because they grow up playing all kinds of electronic games and are used to the controls, while older doctors get a short training in this kind of method of operation.

Again, who do you trust? 

No comments:

Post a Comment