Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Golf

I like to watch golf on tv. I really don't understand it but I know that they have to get that white ball into the hole as quickly as possible. Ok, that is enough to enjoy the intricacies of the game. I also know that there is a lot of money involved and golfers make a good living being pros.

Every week there are tournaments being broadcasted with a large number of different aspiring pros. I like the beauty of the American golf courses. The grass, the traps, the entire surroundings. They are very pleasant to the eye. Now, in the past few days they are broadcasting from Scotland from St. Andrew's golf course. This is an old course that celebrate its 150th anniversary and they are doing the British Open. The cream of the world's best are there. Sure, they are, the winner will get a $2.5 million paycheck. That is not bad for a week's work.

My problem with this is that this golf course is the ugliest I have ever seen. The grass is as manicured as a Neanderthal's hands, the traps are deeper than a man's size and there are no trees anywhere. It is next to the North Sea and there is a constant wind that makes it difficult for the golf balls to fly straight. I believe that most of the results are not because the players are so good but because of sheer luck. 

I don't understand what the charm of such a golf course is. Just because it is old? Ok, I go along with this because that would also make us all old people very charming, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment