Thursday, July 28, 2022

The Wall, again

I am getting more and more amazed by the Wall. The Western Wall in Jerusalem, that is. Thanks to the webcam system, with just a flick of a button I am there, electronically that is. I find the daily routine very interesting. Since the Wall is open for prayers 24/7 there is never a dull moment.

It is peculiar that through night when everybody is asleep the Wall is almost filled with orthodox people. Between midnight and 5-6 in the morning there is almost no room to pray. Then during the day, they disappear, and I guess, tourists come out and take up most of the day.

The orthodox don't sleep? Right now, it is 4pm in New York, that is 11pm in Jerusalem. The wall is slowly getting crowded by the orthodox. By their 4am it will be almost full. And they are also pouring concrete for something. I am very moved by the sights where I see a father with his little boy(s) walking up to the Wall and as far as I can see it explaining its meaning and the children reacting.

On the other hand, it bothers me that the women's section is separated from the men. That is a not a nice thing. Their section is shorter and consequently more crowded. 

I am a cynic. I call the black dressed, orthodox men the professionals. In my mind that is all they do. Just pray all day. Not a bad way to make living.                                                                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment