Friday, February 24, 2023

Kosher

Kosher food rules are complicated. I only know the tip of this iceberg. No pork, no fish that have scales, no shelled seafood, no pepperoni pizza. That is about it all. Understand that I am not kosher. I eat whatever I like regardless religious restrictions. But it takes ingenious thinking to overcome some of these rules. 

For instance, not far from us a new burger place opened up. They sell very good burger and shortly they became popular with the kosher crowd. Every time we go in, they are crowded. They sell burgers and cheeseburgers. So, I got to thinking. 

How can they sell cheese and burgers together. According to kosher rules dairy and meet shall not meet. It turned out that they sell vegan cheese. And that is not considered dairy. We usually visit a Jewish food store on Fridays where they sell very good, prepared food and salads. For my luck they also sell very good cholent (sholet in Hung.). I love cholent. I could eat it every day. A good cholent has meat and whole eggs in it. At least the kind my mother used to make.

The cholent we buy here has the meat but no eggs. And the other day I realized that meat and eggs do not mix because egg is a dairy. Too bad, it would be better with the eggs in it. But I'm sure they will discover vegan eggs one day.

This is what I call Jewish ingenuity!

No comments:

Post a Comment