Saturday, August 28, 2021

Birdfeed

I mentioned it before that we live in a quasi garden apartment. The apartment building is surrounded with grass and various bushes meaning, that when we step out our front door ae are in the green. Well, a while back my wife decided that she would feed the hungry "wildlife".

Wildlife in our area is limited to squirrels and sparrows. But better than lions and tigers! So, she set up a few feeders for these living things, and fresh water (not necessarily bottled). The squirrels get a daily dose of roasted peanuts, the birds get bird feed.

I have to note that I love roasted peanuts, but it seems that the squirrels have an advantage over me. She fed them my jar of peanuts when she ran out of their portions. Now, that she is away it is my responsibility to keep these critters fed. But you know what? All the peanuts are gone so neither the squireels or I are getting any. Starvation time!

But the sparrows are luckier. A little while ago she bought a hanging bird feeder that can hold about 1 1/2 lbs. of seeds. In less than a week it was all gone. These birds eat until they can no longer fly because of their weight, I guess. Anyway, this morning, the good guy that I am, I filled the bird feeder. A 3 lb. bag of seed, and half of it is in already. I wonder how long it will last.

I wouldn't be surprised if one day they would start to talk to us like in the Dr. Dolittle movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment