Monday, August 2, 2021

Now

A person lives for 80+ years. Accumulates a lifetime of experience and knowledge and towards the end of the road wants to rest on his laurels. Because he had seen a lot, did a lot he thinks actually he is convinced that he knows everything.                                                                                                                              Actually, my belief is that I know everything and what I don't know is not that important.                    Now, as a know it all I have comments about most things that happen around me and around the world. As a senior citizen I am entitled to my opinion and I can advise people with stuff based on my experiences.

That is all well and good until...   Until a teenager comes along, and explains it to you that you do not know anything. You are old, things were different in the prehistoric days you came from, and the internet says it differently. For these teenagers there is one holy bible and that is the internet.

Why bother to remember stuff when it all can be found on line. When my wife and I tried to explain the multitude of things we had to memorialize in school we were told that was then this is now.

I don't remember how many poems we had to learn and know it by heart. Ok, I don't remember any of them now but I am sure I became such a good person because I memorized those poems! These kids don't even know what a poem is. Sad! If any of these kids would find themselves on a deserted island with no internet they would be totally helpless.

Our years of knowledge and experience means nothing. Our advice and wisdom have no value. There is only now and now.





                                                                                                                           


No comments:

Post a Comment