Friday, August 6, 2021

Doctors

I have a dermatologist that I have been going to for years, now. I used to call his office to get an appointment and usually they asked how soon can I be there. Two days ago I called and was told nothing was available until August 31. But, he had an PA (physicians' assistant) working who can take me almost immediately. This doctor only works two days a week.

I have a dentist that I have been going for years. I called his office the other day to get an appointment and was told he only works three days a week. But I got one for Saturday.

It is a common knowledge that doctors make an above average living. Ok, they work hard, they studied hard and they are the final authority in life and death issues. I don't begrudge them. But it seems that because the pandemic they are reducing their hours, their involvement to help the sick. I know that it cost a lot of money to run a private practice, staff, insurance expenses. But to reduce their hours by about 50% or more and still be able to exist looks to me a little curious.

It looks like this is the trend, at least in New York. I don't know how doctors work in other cities, but if a doctor is afraid to see patients in these hard times we are in trouble. I only noticed this trend in private practice. Hospitals, clinics seem to operate the normal way. They probably have better precautionary methods than a private office. 

Still, what about the patients who can not get to see their doctors when it is necessary? 

No comments:

Post a Comment