Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Father's Day

Sunday was Father's Day. Even though I am not a real father I do have Abigail to look after. As much as I criticize her, I still love her as if she were my own. And it seems she also loves me. She gave me a greeting card with such a sweet handwritten text on it that I was very moved. Never knew how close to me she is. My wife's other daughter also sent me a very nice card. The son, well he is a man, and he probably doesn't think of me as a father figure. I'll live through it.

Abigail announced it that Sunday she was taking us out for some sweets which was very sweet from her. The boyfriend was not available, had to be with his family so good old Abbi was forced to be with us.        Unbeknown to me there is an old fashioned ice cream parlor near where we live. We decided to go there.

In short it was great! This place serves ice cream sundaes, banana splits, ice cream sodas, malteds, egg creams and other stuff that we used to be able to get at any soda fountain or Howard Johnson. 4pm we went in and got a table. We all ordered sundaes, I a strawberry sundae, my wife coffee and blueberry (2 scoops) sundae and Abigail something else. After all these calories and sugar we also ordered a vanilla ice cream soda that we shared. This place has homemade ice creams but the best part was the whipped cream. I was just floored by how good it was. Not out of the can but very fresh.

Today's generation has no idea what they are missing. It is a good thing that we still remember the good old stuff. These ice cream parlors were extremely popular in the 50s through the 70s, just like in Happy Days tv show. But, the Carvels, Baskin Robbins, Dunkin Donuts and other fast food establishments made them obsolete. It is good that a few venturous businessman kept some of the old things alive because now I know where to go if I have the urge for a good ice cream sundae.

It was a good Father's Day outing.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment