Saturday, June 25, 2022

Mystery

When I was a young lad back in Europe and also here in the US I was very interested in the French and Italian movies. I was very impressed with scenes where I could see scenes where many people were sitting in cafes and restaurants during the days as the story line went on. In my mind and experience, during the day we were either in schools or at work. I never knew anybody who could sit in a restaurant or cafe during working hours.

My father worked all day from morning 'till around 6 and had no time to sit in such places. When I started to work and later on, I worked from morning 'till evening and couldn't imagine being anywhere else but at work. Those Italian and French light movies always showed crowds of people who were free to do whatever during the day.

When I go to this country and occasionally had time during the day (like when I was unemployed) I noticed that plenty of people were occupying the restaurants and cafes. I always wondered how come that I had to work, and those people did not. And how did they make their living. 

Yesterday I had a 2:30pm doctor's appointment in Manhattan. We drove in early to make sure we get there in time because of traffic. On the way, around 1:30 we drove by a restaurant, the same one we went to last week and I was stunned by the number of people sitting at the tables outside. As I coukld see it was a full house. This is what amazes me. What do people do for a living that they have all this time, in the middle of the week and in the middle of the day to sit around in restaurants?

This particular one is not the type of restaurant where workers just go for a bite to eat on their lunchtime. This was an upscale eatery. The bottom line is that people cry about no money, no work yet, in the middle of the week and in the middle of the day it is very difficult to m ove around because of the people.

Good country America! 







lots of people in restaurants

No comments:

Post a Comment