Friday, July 16, 2021

Not Happy

Anno, long time ago when I left Hungary I corresponded with my parents through weekly letters. Every single week I wrote a long letter telling them how my life was taking shape in this new country. In return my Mother and Father also wrote weekly letters.

There was a time period when my Mom filled her letters with information about what neighbor, acquaintance, somebody I barely knew passed away. I complained and asked why was she writing so much sad events. She responded that these people were old and sick that that was the way of life. I expected this response even though in those years I had no clear understanding of old and sick.

This leads up to what I want to write about. 

My wife is very distraught these days. Yesterday she talked to a childhood friend of hers who lives in Canada and found out how sick she was. We knew she was not well but always hoped that she was going to get better. Contrary, she unfortunately is not. She is a very nice person, I know her and she does not deserve to be like this. Lost a lot of weight, in and out of hospital, several complications. It is terrible to hear such news. And, she is not even old.

Another close friend of hers lives in Hungary and she has a tumor in her brain. Very sad. This is a very bright lady, not old at all, tries to function as much as possible. So far no serious effects are shown but it is there. Another friend of my wife has leukemia.

These are all younger people, not yet 60.

I have a friend who walks with a cane another has Parkinson's and an other who has Alzheimer. These are older people but that does not make it permissible. 





  

1 comment: