Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Tennis

Having a lots of time on my hand I became an avid sport event watcher, and observer of facts. I intensely watched the Australian Open, the French Open and now the Wimbledon tennis tournaments, and I came up with some conclusions.

When I was at the age of selecting something to do with my future, the choices were technical, health related, general academia and whatever else looked promising.

Now, it seems to me that at least for Eastern Europeans and for former members of the Soviet Union tennis is the primary goal. The names of the majority of the men's and women's players end with ...ova, ...vich, ...enko or similar, indicating that they all are of slavic origin even if they are swiss, german, austrian or any other wester european country's citizens.

When I had to choose a future nobody asked me if I wanted to be a tennis player. Maybe I did, and then I could have become a wealthy person. I have nothing against this. I just find it interesting how certain nationalities can excel in certain sports.

Hubgary used to be like that in soccer, but that was eons ago and now they are nowhere in the world. Now that professional sports rule the world, Hungary also has some players who play for clubs in other countries but when they try to put a national team together they can not perform.

Those were the good old days, and they are now just vague memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment