Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Olympics 2

I have been watching quite a bit of the Olympics. There are two channels that show full time and one that show part time the events, so there are enough to watch. Unfortunately, because of the 13 hours difference there is really no live broadcast. They are are 13 hours ahead and here on the East Coast they are playing catch up.

Also understandably, here they are showing primarily where Americans are involved. I'm sure in Hungary they show where Hungarians are involved. But regardless interesting sport competitions are always good to watch.

Every Olympic games introduce some new sport events into their programs. Events they claim became popular and events some country is pushing because they are very good at it. This is a list of sports that are included in this year's programming or were previously already included:

surfing

sport climbing

3x3 basketball

trampoline gymnastics

golf

artistic swimming

skateboarding

trampoline

To me none of these are real sports. Some of them are limited to be involved in and some of them I see no sport value at all. Some are practiced by a few some are practically unknown except to the ones whom practice it. I like to see good sport events, but I am not really interested to see people trying to climb a wall and hanging by their fingers. Or skateboarders making funny jumps. Artistic swimming reminds me of Esther Williams movies. Then it was interesting now, not. This is not a sport one can see people freely engaging in at pools.

Golf is another joke. Golfers are in it to make money. Less strenuous than tennis but money is there to make. I can not see athletes from Saudi Arabia or Congo or Yemen or Mongolia taking part in the golf tournament.

Maybe I am a cynic but this is my opinion. 

 












No comments:

Post a Comment