Saturday, May 28, 2022

Books

I love to read. At least I used to love to read. I think I still do because every time I pass something interesting in our home I swear (to myself) that I will read it. We have bookshelves full of books, and then there are books stashed away in bottom of closets. We get some periodicals, but no newspapers.

In the starting years of my life in this country I used to work for a (I'm sure now defunct) company called the Book-of-the-Month Club. As its name suggests, this company published books regularly and every month the employees got a copy of their latest releases. Periodically they also had in-house sales where we could buy books for a $1 each. I used to buy like crazy.

I am proud to say that I read most of them. Actually, I could read them again because I am sure I will not remember them now.  Only thing I do remember now is that they were all good books. When I worked in the City, I used to take the subway to work. I had a 45 minute train ride every day in each direction. To avoid just staring out the window or just looking at the people I decided that I would read. So, I started bringing books with me. I read hard cover and paperbacks. Whatever was available and I am very happy about it.   

Now I have all the time in the world but I just can not get the energy to start reading. I am afraid I would miss some totally uninteresting and useless tv program or playing some game on my computer. When I go by the bookshelf and look at those books I keep telling myself that I would start reading. But words are cheap when there is no act to follow.

Bottom line, I will start reading (one day).

No comments:

Post a Comment