Saturday, May 21, 2022

New homes

As I noted earlier, I like to watch home improvement shows. Not because I really care what the homes look before and after the particular contractors get their work done but because I like to watch the work that is being done and the solutions to the unforeseen problems that always crop up. There is always an unexpected pipe or structural member that needs to be taken care of and that adds an extra $5,000 to $10,000 to the earlier established budget. 

I find it interesting how they make these jobs look easy and also fun. Without exception they laugh their way through their work. They always use power tools. They use these power nail guns that make driving nails in wood look very easy. Maybe now a days contractors do this, and I am behind the times. But being involved with construction for many years I found that work methods changed very little as time went by.

On every show I watched the host gets into the act. She or he comes on and for a few minutes makes believe that they really participate. Many times just by watching the way the host holds a tool it becomes obvious that this is just for the camera. They have no real intention getting involved and getting dirty.

But it still is entertaining and gives an idea what alterations cost if I ever want to have a house and if I ever find in my budget an extra $100,000 I don't know what to do with.    

No comments:

Post a Comment