Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Godkids

Jewish people do not have godchildren. God parents usually become ones at the baptizing of the newborn and that only happens to Christian babies. Yet here I am with two godchildren. One godson and one goddaughter.

We had two very good friends whom we met in the refugee camp and maintained close contact with here in the US. When their son was born in the early 60s they asked my wife, who was protestant to be his godmother. She naturally accepted and just by the process of being there I became the godfather.

Years later when their daughter was born she adopted us to be her godparents. I guess she checked our performance with her brother and decided that we didn't do such a lousy job. So, here we were with two godkids.

When my wife passed away the kids adapted my next wife as their new godmother. Me, I was still around. As years went by these kids grew up and became mature (?) adults. As life went on we kind of lost the close relationships we used to have but I still had a soft spot for them in my heart.

Lately I revived this relationship because I wanted to know how their lives turned out. Thankfully, they responded to my email messages and now we are in constant communication. Visiting is another story because the three of us are living in three different states. But, who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment