Tuesday, October 24, 2023

October 23

Today is 67th anniversary of the Hungarian revolution (the latest one) that eventually changed my and our lives. On October 23 as the result of a huge demonstration, unheard of in those times an armed rebellion started. Unfortunately, the Soviets didn't like the Hungarians' cry for freedom and on November 4, less than two weeks later they entered the country and defeated this movement.

But it was too late to prevent Hungarians from leaving the country. By the thousands people fled. And this thing went on for quite some time, resulting for almost 200,000 people leaving.

My friend and I added our number to this exodus, and in January 1957 we also left. For me it took nine months, until October 31, 1957 to land in New York. But I tell you it was worth the wait. Today I can not imagine what my life would have been, had I stayed behind. 

Just one side note, and this I did hear. That lying scum of Radio Free Europe kept announcing to the freedom fighters to keep on fighting, help is on the way. There was absolutely no help anywhere. Unfortunately, the Suez problem rose up and the western countries thought that more important than poor little Hungary. But Radio Free Europe kept on talking.

Anyway, 67 years is a long time. These events are now in the history books. Interestingly, there are many things I lived through that are in the history books. Maybe one day I will list them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment