Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Friend

I don't know if it is anatomically possible to have brother only two months younger. But if it is not I am sorry because I feel I have one.

In my country when we went to school, elementary through high school we used to have the same class mates year after year. In each school segment we also had the same classrooms and seats, too. So, when something unusual happened, like a new kid showed up it was news.

In 1950 September, on the first day of my last year of middle school a new kid showed up. He looked different, kind of funny. After my first day my Mom asked what happened at school. and I told her about this new boy. My Mom said that she thought we might be cousins, distant but cousins.

Next day at school I told him that my Mother thought we might be related, He said that he was told the same at home'

This was the beginning of a lifelong friendship! As the saying goes "one can not choose his relatives but can choose his friends". On this front I think I did very well. He is ok as a cousin but he is superb as a friend.

Being in this country and have a lifelong friend is a very rare experience for people like us. We are very close. We understand each other, we are honest with each other and we are there for each other. And that is a lot. I could not have asked for a better person to be my friend!

Both of us are only children but I can not imagine to be so close with a brother have I had one. 

The other day was his birthday. Now, we are the same age but I will retain the title as the oldster. Hey, two months is two months.



No comments:

Post a Comment